Since we already have Steam Mobile which you can use to send Steam messages to friends amongst a host of other things, Valve has decided to launch the Steam Chat app for mobile devices. This is a dedicated messaging app dedicated only to chat and will co-exist alongside Steam Mobile.
The Steam Chat app has almost everything you would like from a messaging app, including the ability to create groups, see which of your friends are online or even in-game, Steam emoticons (incoming “kappa” spam), notifications and more. However, a voice chat option is currently not available which is a bit of a bummer, but Valve is working on that.
At the time of writing, the Steam Chat app has a 4.0 out of 5 rating on Google Play, which is pretty good if you ask me. In any case, you can download the Steam Chat app from the links below.
- For iOS download here
- For Android download here
- For Android without Play Store, download here (APK file).
The features for the Steam Chat app are as follows:
- Friends List: See who’s in-game or online at a glance. Never miss an opportunity to play.
- Rich Chat: Your chats get even better with higher fidelity links, videos, tweets, GIFs, Giphy, Steam emoticons, and more.
- Invite Links: Add new friends on Steam with a link. Generate an invite link you can text or email.
- Customizable Notifications: Mobile notifications mean you’ll never miss a message or game invite. You can customize your notifications per friend, group chat, and chat channel.
- Group Chats: Get everyone on the same page. Groups make it easier to do things like stay in touch with your communities and organize game night with your best friends.
I’ve tested it this morning and for me, it worked well. You just have to download the app, log in with your Steam account and go through the 2-step verification with Steam Guard and you are all set up.
Will you be giving the app a shot? Let us know in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Sillicur (see all)
- Ghost of Tsushima Could Release This Year According to a Rumour - 19th Jun 2019
- Effie Review – Effing Fun - 19th Jun 2019
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Worldwide Launch Begins This Week - 19th Jun 2019