It's been 11 months since Rockstar Games announced Red Dead Redemption II, and we finally have a brand new trailer with a lot of information about the story. Besides the obvious beauty of the game, we also get a good look at some of the key characters, different landscapes, action sequences, and lots more.
As it's the official story trailer, most of the focus falls on narrative, with only a few snapshots of what we can expect from the gameplay.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Trailer
- Red Dead 2 is the prequel to the first game and follows the story of the van der Linde gang led by Dutch van der Linde. In RDR the main protagonist, John Marston was a former member of the gang.
- The main protagonist is a member of van der Linde's gang called Arthur Morgan. He comes across as very different from the previous games' lead as he is, well, a real outlaw and seems very loyal to Dutch. It's worth drawing your attention to the main theme of the series titles “redemption” which was the focus of the first game. However, we get no idea in the story trailer about Arthur wanting any kind of redemption. Something drastic will have to happen in the game to change his course from that of a wanted man to that of one seeking some kind of redemption. If I recall correctly, there was no mention in RDR of Arthur, so it's very likely that he either completely disappears or gets killed. In the first game Marston was hunting down the members of his former gang, so if Arthur played a major role then he would've surfaced. It's going to be very interesting to see how Rockstar brings the two stories
together,if they do at all. The new trailer doesn't mention or show Marston in any way, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make an appearance as previous teasers have shown us a glimpse of the former protagonist.
- Some of the gameplay sequences show that yes, dual wielding pistols are indeed a thing, and hunting will again play a major role in the game, as well as better interaction with trains. In RDR2 you'll get to hunt using a bow and arrow. Players will be treated to a bigger variety of animals to hunt, including giant alligators. I am especially interested in doing some proper train heists as is shown in the trailer.
- Given what we now know, that RDR2 is the story of an outlaw, I assume we can expect a lot more action involving things like robberies, heists and confrontations with bounty hunters. Since you're part of a gang and not a lone ranger as in the first game, we can expect at least some of the fighting to play out very differently. The official trailer description does say that we follow the story of the van der Linde gang as they get up to the things outlaws did back in the Wild West days.
- Lastly, we get to see a bigger cycle of landscapes and weather effects, forests, typical Western towns, snow terrains, a swamp, grasslands, mountains, and so on. We also get a look at Morgan at a few campsites, and this could possibly indicate a fast travel and save game feature as part of the open world. Another thing to point out is that we see Morgan at times separated from the gang, and at other times we get the idea that he formed some kind of bond with a native American.
After the first reveal in October last year, there were a few questions raised about the lack of female characters. However, we finally do get to see more of the fairer sex in the new trailer, so it does seem we'll have at least one strong female lead in Red Dead 2.
Did you pick up anything from the trailer we missed? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Red Dead Redemption 2 releases in Spring 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. There has been no news about a PC version.
More about RDR2
- Let's discuss: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption 2 delay with gorgeous new screenshots
Latest posts by Han Cilliers (see all)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Gets First Official Teaser - 11th Dec 2018
- Swords are Coming to Fortnite Battle Royale & the Storm King Arrives - 11th Dec 2018
- Journey Comes to PC For The First Time - 10th Dec 2018