In April this year, we published the very first article about PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on MWEB GameZone. I give you one guess what the article was about. Yes, the game was breaking a Steam record; “Battlegrounds continues to break records and you should play it.” It's now six months later, and PUBG is still making headlines about breaking some Steam record. This thing is a monster.
Since July 17, we've reported that PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds added six records to its name, with the most important being overtaking Dota 2 for most concurrent users on Steam, and selling 10 million copies – while still only in Early Access!
The latest record, lucky number seven, is smashing the last remaining Steam milestone; that of most all-time concurrent players which
Steam Charts – Top Records Concurrent Players
- 1,348,374 concurrent players milestone by PUBG recorded on 16 September 2017
- 1,291,328 concurrent players milestone by Dota 2 recorded in March 2016
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: 850,485 in Apr 2016
- Fallout 4: 471,955 in Nov 2015
- Grand Theft Auto V: 360,761 in Apr 2015
- PAYDAY 2: 247,628 in June 2017
- No Man's Sky: 212,321 in Aug 2016
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI: 162,314 in Oct 2016
- Left 4 Dead 2: 161,590 in December 2013
- Terraria: 158,947 in June 2015
I am completely baffled by PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds success, it is a gaming phenomenon, and just as I think the fad reached a tipping point, I have to report a new record. It is clearly not a fad, but an enormous success, and it is here to stay.
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is currently available in Steam Early Access, with a full release planned for later this year, as well as the Xbox One Preview Program release.
More about PUBG
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds clamps down hard on cheaters
- PUBG gets more FPP servers, gameplay improvements and more in next update
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds: About the publishing deal, PS4 version and more
Latest posts by Han Cilliers (see all)
- Metro Exodus Goes Gold With New Release Date - 14th Dec 2018
- Artifact Player Base Drops to Almost 20% of Its All-Time Peak - 13th Dec 2018
- Bethesda Screws Up Again, This Time With the Fallout 76 Ultrawide Mode - 13th Dec 2018