Latest posts by GlitchedAfrica (see all)
Pokémon GO released almost 15 months ago, and for some reason Niantic decided to only now releases a series of videos that could be labeled, the official Pokémon GO guide. The videos cover the basics of each base mechanic of the game with simple, yet effective instructions about each.
If you're a newcomer to the game, or if you want to introduce a friend to Pokémon GO, then you need look no further. If you're already a skilled Trainer, then this guide isn't for you.
1. Catching Pokémon
- Walk around in your neighborhood to find Pokémon.
- Make sure to check the “nearby Pokémon tab” to see which of the creatures will spawn in your vicinity.
- When one appears, tap on “wild [insert Pokémon name] to try catch it.
- You use a Poké Ball to catch Pokémon.
- Swipe to throw said Ball.
- Timing is key, and watch carefully as the Pokémon might try to dodge the ball.
- Try to hit the elusive creature in the centre of the shrinking circle.
- If you hit the centre you'll be rewarded with bonus XP.
- The smaller the circle, the higher the XP bonus.
- If you struggle, use a Berry to catch Pokémon as it makes it easier.
- Use a Curveball to catch them which will earn you even more bonuses.
2. Powering Up and Evolving Pokémon
- Next you'll want to power up the Pokémon you've caught so they'll win battles.
- Only evolve those Pokémon that you can use best in battles & raids.
- Have your Pokémon appraised to see if they're suited to battle.
- Feed them Candy and Stardust to power them up.
- You collect Candy by catching the same kinds of Pokémon.
- You collect Candy by permanently transferring Pokémon to Professor Willow.
- You collect Candy by making one Pokémon your Buddy and it'll collect Candy as you walk.
- When you have enough Candy you can evolve a Pokémon.
- Some Pokémon needs Evolution Items to evolve.
- Find these at PokéStops.
- After you've evolved a Pokémon you'll notices changes to how it moves.
- Try them in a battle or Raid, don't forget to power them up before.
3. Pokémon GO – Advanced Gym Strategy
- As explained above, first power up Pokémon of different types.
- Understand the enemy, so review the Pokémon you'll face in the Raid or battle.
- Learn which moves work best against the different Pokémon types.
- Make sure to fight with the Pokémon who'll best suit the type you're facing.
- If there's one golden rule in a battle, then it's timing.
- When the action lines appear, swipe to dodge – especially those charged attacks.
- If your attack meter is fully charged, then tap & hold to release your charged attack.
- The best time to use a charged attack is directly after a successful dodge.
4. Pokémon GO – Visiting Gyms
- No matter which team controls a Gym, if you spin the Photo Disc you'll earn a Badge.
- If your team controls the Gym you'll earn even more items.
- Pokémon defending a Gym lose motivation as time passes – just feed'em Berries to keep them active.
- Take over a Gym by attacking their Pokémon with yours.
- Some key mechanics when attacking; tap to perform a Fast Attack, Swipe to dodge, tap & hold for a Charged Attack
- As you defeat the Pokémon they lose motivation, and once it's down the Gym opens up.
- Place your Pokémon in the Gym as the new protector.
- To see all the Gyms you've visited just open the Gym Badge case.
- To see your stats for a specific Gym just open the Gym Badge case.
5. Pokémon GO – Raid Battles
- Raids are different than Gym Battles, you have to work with other Trainers to defeat a Raid Boss.
- Visit a Gym to receive a Raid Pass – then you'll receive notifications of nearby Raid Battles.
- You can also check the Raid tab to see any nearby Raid Battles.
- Create or join a Raid Group.
- When the Egg hatches the Raid is about to begin.
- There are different strategies for defeating different Legendary Pokémon.
- Beating a Raid unlocks special rewards.
- You can also try catch the Raid Boss – if you run out of Premier Balls it will flee.
- See How 2 Pokémon GO Trainers beat the legendary Moltres for examples of Raid Battles.
I highly recommend you follow The Silph Road for in-depth guides and tips.