The International 2019, the biggest esports tournament of the year featuring the biggest prize pool in esports history (now over $32 million) is exactly one week away at the time of writing. On 15 August, the group stages of The International 2019 will take place and from 20 to 25 August, the playoffs will take place in Shanghai, China in front of a massive crowd at the Mercedes Benz stadium.
As a massive Dota 2 esports fan, I am extremely excited for the tournament to kick off and I am sure many of you are as well. With the latest Dota 2 update, you can now check all the talent and broadcasters in your compendium if you are a Battle Pass owner. Valve also released a dedicated The International 2019 page featuring some great new details, including tournament structure and the prize pool distribution.
Let’s kick things off with the prize pool distribution. Remember, these numbers will only go up as the prize pool continues to increase until the final game of the grand finals completes. The image below comes from the talented Wykrhm Reddy.
Yes, the winner of The International 2019 will get over $14.6 million as the prize pool is still growing. That’s roughly R220 million at the current Dollar to Rand exchange rate.
Valve also shared the tournament structure details in a new blog post, which you can read below.
- Group Stage: August 15th – August 18th, 2019 – As before, two best-of-two groups of nine teams. Top four teams in each group advance to Upper Bracket, five – eight advance to Lower Bracket, bottom in each group is eliminated.
- Main Event: August 20th – August 25th, 2019 – The tradition continues as 16 teams battle through a best-of-three double elimination playoff. Lower bracket first round is best-of-one, Grand Finals are best-of-five.
Finally, we have the hosts of The International 2019. Check out the image below, featuring Kaci, SirActionSlacks, Sheever, Redeye and more.
As part of our The International 2019 and Battle Pass coverage plan, we will continue to bring you all the latest news about the tournament. Coming next week is the Fantasy Challenge tips, followed by picks each day as the tournament progresses.
Are you excited for The International 2019 and where do you plan on watching the group stages as well as the main event? Let us know in the comment section below and don’t forget to watch our Immortal Treasure III opening video.
Latest posts by Sillicur (see all)
- The International 2019 Results for Day 2 and Day 3 Schedule - 21st Aug 2019
- TI9 Day 3 Fantasy Roster Picks For The Main Event - 21st Aug 2019
- Grab For Honor For Free and Try Anno 1800 Right Now - 21st Aug 2019