Latest posts by GlitchedAfrica (see all)
Red Dead Redemption 2 is most probably at the top of the list for games you will play in 2018 – if you own a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. If you want to know a bit more about the story and gameplay before you make that pre-order, then check our breakdown of the story trailer below.
Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Trailer
1. Red Dead 2 is the prequel to the first game and follows the story of the van der Linde gang led by Dutch van der Linde. In RDR the main protagonist, John Marston was a former member of the gang.
2. The main protagonist is a member of van der Linde’s gang called Arthur Morgan. He comes across as very different from the previous games’ lead as he is, well, a real outlaw and seems very loyal to Dutch. It’s worth drawing your attention to the main theme of the series titles “redemption” which was the focus of the first game. However, we get no idea in the story trailer about Arthur wanting any kind of redemption. Something drastic will have to happen in the game to change his course from that of a wanted man to that of one seeking some kind of redemption.
If I recall correctly, there was no mention in RDR of Arthur, so it’s very likely that he either completely disappears or gets killed. In the first game Marston was hunting down the members of his former gang, so if Arthur played a major role then he would’ve surfaced. It’s going to be very interesting to see how Rockstar brings the two stories together, if they do at all. The new trailer doesn’t mention or show Marston in any way, but I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t make an appearance as previous teasers have shown us a glimpse of the former protagonist.
3. Some of the gameplay sequences show that yes, dual wielding pistols are indeed a thing, and hunting will again play a major role in the game, as well as better interaction with trains. In RDR2 you’ll get to hunt using a bow and arrow. Players will be treated to a bigger variety of animals to hunt, including giant alligators. I am especially interested in doing some proper train heists as is shown in the trailer.
4. Given what we now know, that RDR2 is the story of an outlaw, I assume we can expect a lot more action involving things like robberies, heists and confrontations with bounty hunters. Since you’re part of a gang and not a lone ranger as in the first game, we can expect at least some of the fighting to play out very differently. The official trailer description does say that we follow the story of the van der Linde gang as they get up to the things outlaws did back in the Wild West days.
5. Lastly, we get to see a bigger cycle of landscapes and weather effects, forests, typical Western towns, snow terrains, a swamp, grasslands, mountains, and so on. We also get a look at Morgan at a few campsites, and this could possibly indicate a fast travel and save game feature as part of the open world. Another thing to point out is that we see Morgan at times separated from the gang, and at other times we get the idea that he formed some kind of bond with a native American.
Red Dead Redemption 2 releases in 2018 for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
This article has been republished and facts edited to reflect correct dates and prices.