Latest posts by GlitchedAfrica (see all)
Would you pay over R5 000 to wear the above skirt in PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds? At the time of writing, the school skirt is on Steam’s Community Market for R4 858 – but 61 people are willing to pay R5 059 to wear it. Astonishing. Check out the most expensive items on Steam.
Most expensive items on Steam
On the other hand, I totally get this reasoning: “If we’re going to be heroes, we may as well look the part,” Rona Sabri, Rising Star. That’s right under the price tag of over R23 000 for a pair of gloves.
I can understand that people go bonkers with their sales price when they put their items on the Steam Community Market, but I struggle to grasp why someone would pay thousands to own those items. And more people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts for rare cosmetic items than you would think.
I got curious to see some of those overly expensive items, and what gamers are willing to pay for it. A search on Steam’s Community Market for the highest priced items in Steam’s top three most played games paints a fascinating picture. Please keep in mind that these asking and selling prices are in flux, but the items listed below will at least give you some idea of the market.
Counter-Strike Global Offensive boats the most pricey items, it is also Steam’s oldest game, so that might explain some of the madness.
- Sport Gloves | Pandora’s Box: R19 499 with 342 willing to buy it for R 8 910.45
- Sport Gloves | Arid R23 080 with 10 willing to buy it for just over R6 000
Dota 2 launch on Steam just a year later than CS: GO, and from the three most played titles it has what looks like the most “sane” market.
- Auspicious Fractal Horns of Inner Abysm: R3 277 with 121 willing to buy it for just over R400
- Elder The Defense Season 2 War Dog: R5461 with 405 willing to buy it for R1 662
Lastly, we have the new kid on the block who became too popular too fast. Be that as it may, players are willing to pay thousands to look the part.
- PLAYERUNKNOWN’S Trenchcoat R5959: 73 will buy it at just over R6 000
- Cloth Mask (Leopard): R5158 with 3416 willing to buy it for R 4 046.06 or lower
- PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Bandana: R10 683 with 36 requests to buy it for R11 056 or more
- BLACK SCHOOL UNIFORM SET (FEMALE): 7 for sale starting at R 12 797 with 3 willing to pay R16 877
- 5 are willing to pay almost R13 000 for the above item
- Pleated Mini-skirt (Black): 102 for sale starting at R 3 277 with 100 willing to buy it for R 3 363
- School Skirt: 55 for sale starting at R 4 858 with 62 willing to pay over R5000
- 4 are willing to pay less than 5K but more than the asking price
My conclusion. You can make a lot of money from playing the right video game at the right time. You don’t have to be an Esports hero to make money off gaming. With that being said, remember that there is no way to withdraw money from your Steam wallet after selling the items, but it can definitely bolster your gaming budget. Some PC gamers are clearly willing to spend a crazy amount of money on cosmetic items.
I would love to know if any of our readers have made a few bucks from selling items on Steam’s Community Market. Spill the goods below and tell us what you think about the most expensive items on Steam.