3D Realms used to be one of the greatest names in FPS titles, creating the likes of Duke Nukem 3D, the original Prey and more. The developer is going back to their roots with WRATH: Aeon of Ruin, a hardcore, retro FPS built on the Quake 1 tech. It looks awesome and a lot like the great FPS titles of the old days, such as Blood, Heretic and more.
3D Realms announced WRATH: Aeon of Ruin and we won’t even have to wait too long to play it, with a “Summer 2019” release window, which is sometime this winter for our South African readers. WRATH: Aeon of Ruin isn’t just for PC gamers either, as the game will release on PC, PS4, Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch. The game sounds huge, with 3 hubs and 15 enormous, interconnected levels, secrets to uncover and brutal, fast-paced gameplay that just oozes old-school FPS. Amping up the gameplay, even more, are 9 unique weapons, 10 powerful artifacts and a horde of enemies to slaughter.
The game’s official description reads:
You are Outlander. Once adrift upon the Ageless Sea, you now find yourself on the shores of a dying world. From the consuming darkness emerges a figure cloaked in white, the Shepherd of Wayward Souls, who burdens you with the task of hunting down the remaining Guardians of the Old World. You must journey into the vast gloom to explore ancient ruins, discover forgotten secrets and battle the horrors that lurk within.
Fueled by legendary Quake 1 technology, the veins of WRATH pump with the DNA of revered ’90s shooters. WRATH embraces the timeless elements of classic titles such as DOOM, QUAKE, DUKE NUKEM 3D, BLOOD, UNREAL and HEXEN and carries them into the 21st century.
The developer also shared some highlights to get those old-school mouths watering, which you can check out below.
- Explore a vast world shrouded in darkness, passionately crafted by the hands of expert Quake scene necromancers.
- Traverse 3 hubs and 15 enormous, interconnected levels crawling with hordes of enemies, lore and ancient secrets.
- Forge your path with an arsenal of 9 deadly weapons, each with multiple fire modes.
- Know your enemy. Many horrors lurk in the shadows, thirsting for your blood.
- Artifacts of great power lay hidden in the dark places of the world. Find them and dominate your enemies.
- Powered by the Legendary Quake 1 Tech, WRATH is an authentic, classic FPS in every way.
- Capped at 666 fps, WRATH will melt your soul and your Voodoo 2… But it’s okay. Software Rendering is supported!
- Create your own worlds. WRATH is built from the ground up to be easily moddable. Make your own levels, weapons and characters. From day one, the very tools used to create WRATH will be available for all.
- Gib your friends in classic Multiplayer modes, powered by the renowned QuakeWorld netcode. Dominate the world of WRATH with 3 other companions in 4 player co-op, LAN or online!
- Immerse yourself in a haunting soundscape born from the twisted minds of Andrew Hulshult (Quake Champions, Rise of the Triad, Dusk and Amid Evil) and Bjorn Jacobson (CyberPunk 2077, Hitman, EVE Online).
As a lover of old-school FPS titles, WRATH: Aeon of Ruin just makes me so excited and if you need any more convincing, check out the reveal trailer below.
Latest posts by Sillicur (see all)
- The Largest Video Game Collection World Record Set - 20th Mar 2019
- New CS: GO Update Adds Vertigo to Competitive, Removes Cobble & More - 20th Mar 2019
- Eskom’s Loadshedding Update is Terrible News for South Africans - 20th Mar 2019