When Sony announced that they will be releasing the much-anticipated PSN ID Name Change feature a few weeks ago everyone cheered with joy.
The PSN has been around for almost 12 years and that terrible name you chose during launch week has been the one you have had to stick with ever since due to the inability to change it. That is all about to change as the PS4 firmware 6.1 beta is rolling out which contains the ability to change your PSN ID. But it is not all excitement as details have been revealed that the PSN ID name change could have some dire consequences at the moment.
According to ResetEra, the 6.1 firmware beta warns against some rather harsh issues users may experience after changing their PSN ID. These include losing access to owned digital content, progression in games including save data and leaderboards as well as applications just not working properly both online and offline.
- You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you have acquired for your games, including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
- You may lose your progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data and progress toward trophies.
- Parts of your games and applications might not function properly, both online and offline.
- Your previous Online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players in some places.
Right now the name change feature seems more like a gamble than anything else and if you are part of the beta program I would recommend you tread carefully to avoid these issues happening to you. I would hate to change my name and suddenly lose all my Destiny 2 progress because the save data is all server based.
Whether or not Sony will fix these issues before the feature rolls out to the public in early 2019 is not clear but I guess that is the whole point of a beta. You can follow everyone’s experience with the PSN ID name change feature on ResetEra and see what people say about it all.
Latest posts by Marco Cocomello (see all)
- 50 Most Anticipated Games of 2019 - 17th Jan 2019
- The Elder Scrolls Online Elsweyr Announced and it has Dragons - 16th Jan 2019
- EA Cancels Yet Another Open-World Star Wars Game - 16th Jan 2019