People can speculate all they want, but hard numbers from Sony Interactive Entertainment and their competition is really all that matters in the end. Sony has now revealed the PlayStation 4 sales numbers both for the holiday 2018 season and the lifetime sales of the console. Without a doubt, the PlayStation 4 sales numbers are impressive and in its lifetime, the console has sold 91.6 million units worldwide.
The PlayStation 4’s immense library of exlusives has, without a doubt, helped the console reach such great heights, because who doesn’t want to play the Game of the Year winner God of War, or the amazing Marvel’s Spider-Man. The list just goes on and on and it shows in the PlayStation 4 sales numbers.
Let’s get straight into the PlayStation 4 sales numbers as revealed by Sony:
- PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 91.6 million units globally as of December 31, 2018.
- Within the above number, PS4 has sold through more than 5.6 million units globally during the 2018 holiday season
- More than 50.7 million PS4 games were sold through globally during the 2018 holiday season, which sums up to 876 million PS4 games cumulatively sold through worldwide as of December 31, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man, launched in September 2018, has cumulatively sold through more than 9 million copies worldwide as of November 25, 2018.
The President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, John Kodera, thanked fans in an official statement, which you can read below.
Thanks to the continued support from our fans during the holiday season, we are pleased to announce that PS4 has reached 91.6 million units globally. We are also happy to announce that the monthly active users of PlayStation Network continues to show strong growth, and has surpassed 90 million as of end of November 2018.
I would like to express my deepest gratitude to our passionate community around the globe, and our partners, for helping us achieve these milestones. This year, we will bring more enhanced experiences to our fans along with a highly anticipated lineup of games that are only possible on PS4. As we look toward the next PS4 milestone, SIE will continue to evolve, and we will further expand the platform to deliver the best interactive entertainment experiences to the world.
No, Mr Kodera, thank you for the years of gaming bliss and world-class exclusives!
The big milestone everyone is waiting for is, of course, the 100 million units sold mark and even if the PlayStation 5 gets announced and released before the end of this year, I for one think that that magic 100 million number will be reached.
Do you think the PlayStation 4 can make it to 100 million units sold and which PS4 exclusives are you most looking forward to in 2019? Let us know in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Sillicur (see all)
- Cyberpunk 2077 E3 Plans Revealed by CD Projekt - 24th May 2019
- Celebrating The Five Unsung Heroes of Multiplayer Games - 24th May 2019
- Earthshaker Arcana Unleashed for Battle Pass Owners Level 365 and Higher - 24th May 2019