The 36th annual Golden Joystick Awards concluded a few days ago, and it’s fantastic to see a lineup of winners who are all worthy of claiming that number one spot in their respective categories. Then there’s God of War that walked away with a staggering five awards.
God of War received awards for; Best Storytelling, Best Visual Design, Best Audio, PlayStation Game of the Year, and the developer, SIE Santa Monica won Studio of the Year. There is no doubt that 2018 was a fantastic year for the PlayStation 4 with blockbuster hits like God of War, Detroit: Become Human, and Marvel’s Spider-Man. Bryan Dechart who played Conner in Detroit: Become Human won another award for Sony; that of Best Performer.
It will be very interesting to see how God of War fares against Red Dead Redemption 2 in the upcoming Game Awards as both received eight nominations. RDR2 received only one win at The Golden Joystick Awards; that of Critics Choice Award. Fortnite is the only other game that walked away with more than one award; that of Best Competitive Game and Ultimate Game of the Year. Talking about battle royale, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds collected the award for Mobile Game of the Year. That’s a far fall from the heights it climbed with 2017’s awards. PUBG won two Golden Joystick Awards last year as well as Best Multiplayer Game from The Game Awards.
Cyberpunk 2077 walked away with the award for Most Wanted Game, all we need now is a release date. Another win that stands out is that of the Lifetime Achievement Award that went to Hidetaka Miyazaki, From Software’s President. He is also the man behind all the Soul’s games. Did you know he originally joined From Software in 2014 as a game planner?
It’s such a surprise and an honor to receive this prestigious Golden Joystick Award. I’m quite humbled. It’s thanks to you, all the players, that I have been able to carry on making games with the one simple goal of making games that are interesting. And I am so glad to have been able to make games in these exciting times with all of you. I plan to carry on making games as long as I am able, and I will do my very best to make sure that they’re games that you will enjoy.
Praise the sun indeed. Below is the complete list of all winners and categories of the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards.
- Best Audio: God of War
- Best Competitive Game: Fortnite Battle Royale
- Best Cooperative Game: Monster Hunter: World
- Best Indie Game: Dead Cells
- Best New Streamer & Broadcaster: Bryan Dechart & Amelia Rose Blaire
- Best Performer: Bryan Dechart (Connor, Detroit: Become Human)
- Best Storytelling: God of War
- Best Visual Design: God of War
- Best VR Game: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
- Breakthrough Award: Unknown Worlds
- Critics Choice Award: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Esports Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Lifetime Achievement: Hidetaka Miyazaki (FromSoftware)
- Mobile Game of the Year: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Mobile
- Most Wanted Game: Cyberpunk 2077
- Nintendo Game of the Year: Octopath Traveler
- Outstanding Contribution: Xbox Adaptive Controller
- PC Game of the Year: Subnautica
- PlayStation Game of the Year: God of War
- Still Playing Award: World of Tank
- Studio of the Year: SIE Santa Monica
- Ultimate Game of the Year: Fortnite
- Xbox Game of the Year: Forza Horizon 4
Don’t forget to vote in the upcoming The Game Awards, you can do so via Facebook, Twitter, Discord, Messenger, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
Latest posts by Marco Cocomello (see all)
- Samsung Responds to The $2000 Galaxy Fold Devices Breaking Within Days of Use - 19th Apr 2019
- Naughty Dog Completes The Last of Us Part II’s Final Scene - 18th Apr 2019
- $2000 Samsung Galaxy Fold Devices Breaking Within Days of Use - 18th Apr 2019