Google Maps South Africa will soon be getting a load of new features since the buyout of Waze has allowed the company to integrate features from the app into its own Google Maps. The latest addition being speed limits, speed cameras and mobile speed trap locations on your Google Maps route.
While most of these features have been around for a while in the US, Google Maps South Africa will soon be showing speed cameras, speed limits and mobile speed traps in the app soon. The new features will give South Africa motorists something new to experience and perhaps dodge that speed fine.
The following features will be arriving soon for both Android and iOS Google Maps users.
- The speed limit for the road you’re currently on will show up on the bottom corner of your Google Maps app
- Speed traps (both stationary and mobile) will show up as icons on the roads, similar to how it works on every other GPS device
- Android users will be able to report speed cameras, with both Android and iOS users able to see previously reported speed cameras on their apps
- Google Maps pulls its speed camera data from both authoritative feeds and feedback from users
According to TechCrunch, Google is rolling out these new features to over 40 new countries with South Africa being one of them.
Australia, Brazil, U.S., Canada, U.K., India, Mexico, Russia, Japan, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Morocco, Namibia, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia, and Zimbabwe.
These features will come in handy for those who don’t use the crowdsourced app, Waze. Perhaps Google has plans to transform the entire Maps experience into a Waze clone
Latest posts by Marco Cocomello (see all)
- Ghost Recon: Breakpoint Had Me Begging For More – Hands-On E3 2019 - 14th Jun 2019
- Watch Dogs Legion is Really as Deep as it Looks – E3 2019 Hands-On - 14th Jun 2019
- The Borderlands 3 E3 2019 Stand is The Best We Have Ever Seen - 12th Jun 2019