Detective Pikachu had a huge opening weekend. In fact, based on numbers released over the weekend, the new live-action Pokémon movie has had the biggest opening weekend of all video game-based movies in history, beating out some good ones, including Tomb Raider, Warcraft and more.
Although it hasn’t released everywhere yet, with Detective Pikachu only releasing in South Africa on 17 May 2019, the new Pokémon movie managed to beat out all previous movies based on video game during its USA opening weekend. According to a box office report, Detective Pikachu made an estimated $58 million when it opened in the USA this past weekend. This puts it ahead of the previous highest opening video game-based movie, 2001’s Lara Croft: Tomb Raider which starred Angelina Jolie as the title character. It made $47.7 million during its USA opening weekend in 2001.
The top 10 USA opening weekends for movie adaptations of popular video game franchise are:
- Detective Pikachu (2019) – $58 million;
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) – $47.7 million;
- The Angry Birds Movie (2016) – $38.2 million;
- Rampage (2018) – $35.8 million;
- Pokémon: The First Movie (1999) – $31 million;
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) – $30 million;
- Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) – $24.1 million;
- Warcraft (2016) – $24.2 million;
- Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) – $23.7 million;
- Tomb Raider (2018) – $24.6 million.
Detective Pikachu stars Ryan Reynolds as a talking Pikachu who meets Tim Goodman (portrayed by Justice Smith), who is trying to find his missing father. The movie features a ton of other live-action versions of Pokémon which fans have loved since the popular franchise was started all the way back with the release of Pokémon Red and Green in 1996. Since then, an array of games, videos, shows, and merchandise has been inspired by the popular Pokémon franchise.
We will have the South African box office numbers for you next week (like we do every week). So, then we will be able to know how well the new movie will fare in South African cinema market
Also, stay tuned for our review of Detective Pikachu tomorrow morning.