Just look at that glorious hamster ball vehicle above and tell me you are not a little bit excited to ride around in it, channelling your inner Chris Pratt from Jurassic World in the process. At the time of writing (11:30 am South African time), the servers went down for the Fortnite 8.10 Patch and it brings some pretty cool things to the game if you ask me.
The best thing about this update might just be the Baller, a hamster ball vehicle. Unlike Jurassic World, this is a single-seater that can be found at Expedition Outposts and around the pirate camp loot stashes. The Baller will have a lot of mobility as you can use the attached grappler and boost functionality to “pull yourself up cliffs or swing through the trees”.
There’s also an update to vending machines, which Epic Games explains as:
These convenient machines now dispense things free of charge but only provide one item/weapon before disappearing.
LTM – The Getaway
The Fortnite 8.10 patch also brings a new Limited Time Mode (LTM) called “The Getaway” which sounds pretty fun. Epic announced the mode, stating that:
In this mode, players will race to find a Jewel and take it to a getaway van before everyone else to win the match!
Check out some of the most important Getaway mode details below:
- Jewels can be found in special supply drop safes, located along the edge of the first storm circle. The safes take a long time to open, so make sure the area is clear before attempting to claim a Jewel!
- Four Jewels will be in play on the map at all times. If a player escapes with a Jewel or one is lost in the Storm, a new Supply Drop will bring a replacement.
- Four total getaway vans will be on the map, three that arrive early in the match and one more that shows up near the end.
- The goal is to find or steal a Jewel and take it to one of the vans in order to secure a Victory Royale.
- Once they arrive, Safe drops and getaway vans will be visible on the map at all times.
- When a Jewel is picked up, it will be visible on the map to everyone for 30 seconds.
- Carrying a Jewel will give players health & shields over time, but also slow them down by 10%.
- Getaway vans float in mid-air, Jewel carriers must build up and then interact with them in order to complete a Getaway.
- 10 red “Pursuit” supply drops land at the very beginning of the match. These carry a variety of longer-range weapons and other items, and are the only way to obtain the new Grappler in this mode.
- Only Rare weapons or better will be found in this mode.
- Rifts, Rift-to-Go and Launchpads have been removed to reduce mobility for healthier Getaway Van engagements.
- Profile Stats (K/D & Wins) are tracked in this mode, but Umbrellas are not awarded for wins
- The ATK has been temporarily brought back in this mode as it is the only 4 person ground vehicle.
There is just so much more in the Fortnite 8.10 patch that it is hard to digest all at once. You can check out the full patch notes by following this link. It includes things like performance improvements, a variety of fixes, audio adjustments, weapon rarity changes, bug fixes and a lot more. Then, there’s also a big update to Fortnite Creative including new islands, game options and more.
What do you think about the Fortnite 8.10 patch contents and how excited are you to ride around in “the Baller”? Let us know in the comment section below.