Just over a week ago, following the PewDiePie and Firewatch debacle, Valve implemented a new review system for Steam that highlights things like a sudden burst of negative user reviews for a game. Effectively it's a system to prevent review bombing – but sometimes, like in the recent case with PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, it signals a very clear and much-needed message to the distributor and developer.
Over the past few hours
- Extreme server lag for those connecting from China
- Server lag followed the release of in-game ads
Looking at PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Facebook page, and the decline of the negative reviews, then the issues have all been resolved. “We are aware of server connection issues. Our engineering team is working on a fix,” followed only a few hours later by “Thank you for your patience! Server connection issues have now been resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience!”
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds developer, Bluehole, will have to deal with the irk from their Chinese player base. The in-game ad issue is only the latest incident troubling the community. Like the players from South Africa who have to accept serious in-game lag to play the game, the Chinese players seem to connect with a 200+ ping to play PUBG. They use an in-game VPN service to compensate for the lag, but it seems to have made the issues worse.
Reading through the Steam reviews, one Chinese player nails the issue particularly well.
“As a Chinese player who speaks for the largest player group of this game, I must tell you guys a fact about how Bluehole handled server issue. Because there is no Chinese server and playing
If there's one thing that will ensure the downfall of an online first-person shooter game, then it's massive server lag. Considering the money Bluehole is making of this as yet, unfinished game, I hope they consider rolling out more servers and never fall for the lure of in-game advertising again.
More about PUBG
- Report: PUBG 'in talks with Sony' about a PS4 version
- PUBG: Bluehole creates PUBG Corp. and boasts a new sales milestone
- Someone figured out how to kind of play PUBG on a Game Boy Color
Latest posts by Han Cilliers (see all)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Gets First Teaser Trailer & New Details - 16th November 2018
- First Battlefield V Update Brings Major Fixes & Ray Tracing Support - 15th November 2018
- The Game Awards 2018 Nominations Announced - 14th November 2018