When Destiny launched on 9 September 2014 it broke a few impressive records, like the most pre-ordered new video game IP in history, and when the Taken King launched, it was the most most downloaded day-one game in PlayStation History. Destiny 2 launched a few days ago on September 6 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, smashing both records.
“With franchise pre-order records broken, and record day-one performance
on PlayStation Store, it’s exciting to see engagement at the highest
ever week-one concurrency for the franchise. “Destiny 2 is off to a
strong start as the #1 console gaming launch week of the year to date,”
said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision. “With the PC version yet to
ship, Destiny 2 sets the stage for being one of the biggest video game entertainment events of the year.”
- Destiny earned $325 million in week one
- 2 Months after launch Destiny listed 9.5 million users
- Destiny 2 had more than 1 million concurrent players 8 days in a row
- No 1 console gaming launch week of the year to date
- No 1 console-only game viewed on Twitch by minutes watched
- Destiny 2 hits largest ever Day 1 sales globally for PlayStation Store
Even though Destiny had such an impressive launch, we saw a massive exodus of Guardians just five months after it launched. With even better sales numbers, will Destiny 2 succeed where its predecessor failed? We think it will. So far, Destiny 2 improved on nearly every aspect, and the PC release is looking to be an overwhelming positive experience. Check our in depth review of Destiny 2: Bringing the Big Guns.
Bungie CEO, Pete Parsons, said, “We hit some great milestones this week with our community.” He added, “We are blown away that we’ve had eight days in a row in Destiny 2 where we’ve seen more than one-million concurrent players grace our worlds. It’s equal parts inspiring and humbling, and we’re looking forward to showing everyone what’s coming next!”
I wished Activision released some sales numbers so we could measure its success more accurately. The PC version will release in October, and we will probably see another list of records added to Destiny 2's console launch.
Have you been enjoying your time in Destiny 2? IS it a better experience than the original Destiny? Our Destiny 2 clan, the Mystic Marshmallows have already beaten the first raid, and completed a list of top 10 things to do after you've completed the story campaign.
Latest posts by Han Cilliers (see all)
- Three Fallout 76 Nukes Dropped Simultaneously, Crashing The Server - 19th November 2018
- Star Citizen Crowdfunding Shoots Past the $200M Barrier - 18th November 2018
- Bethesda Outlines the Fallout 76 Update Schedule - 18th November 2018